10 Best Standing Assist Chair Aids for Seniors & Disabled
A standing aid is also called a sit-to-stand device to help someone stand up from a seated position. Many seniors and disabled people use them because they have mobility challenges or are unable to stand upright easily. These aids give caregivers a sense of relief since they no longer have to be available all the time to assist the elderly out of chairs. Moreover, the user regains a sense of independence with these chair assists. This is a win-win scenario for all parties involved.
A standing aid for the disabled or elderly can be attached to a couch, chair, recliner, or bed. A variety of designs are available, with some being portable and others being only fixed in one location. However, it is important to note that the user needs some core strength to pull themselves up; they need to have strong upper bodies.
This article will be very helpful if you are considering purchasing a sit-to-stand chair for the disabled or for your elder ones. For your convenience, we have also listed our recommendations for the best standing aids for seniors and the disabled.
Standing Assist Chair Buyer’s Guide
The following factors need to be considered before purchasing a standing assist chair for seniors or disabled individuals:
- Portability: Would you describe your elder one as having an active social life or as someone who doesn't like to stay still for long? Therefore, portability plays a key role in choosing a standing aid. If you choose a portable chair assist, you can move it from one corner of the house to another, as well as pack it up and transport it to a friend's house or relative's house. It would be even more useful if you could use it in a public setting, such as an airport or restaurant.
- Adjustability: Another important aspect that you should consider is how adjustable the stand assist device is. If your loved one is seated on the couch or in bed, can the height be adjusted to accommodate them? Is it possible to extend the width and depth so that the couch fits snugly? Questions like these should be asked to yourself before buying standing support for the disabled or seniors.
- Weight capacity: It's important to consider how much weight the stand-to-sit device can handle before you buy it. For someone whose weight fluctuates, it would be better to select one with a higher weight capacity. When you pick a device with the proper weight capacity, you can make sure that it performs as expected and is reliable.
- Handles: It is very important that the handles of assist chairs have a good grip otherwise you will have a risk of your loved one falling every time they try to stand up. It is best to use handles that have foam grips. In addition to being easy to hold, these handles have a strong and steady grip.
- Servicing & Maintenance: Make sure you examine all manufacturers and find one that offers a service agreement that meets your needs. You could replace parts, install new equipment, and resolve any issues that may arise in the future.
- Suitable for the Couch/Recliner:
- Stand assist should always be checked to ensure it is compatible with the chair, recliner, or couch for which it is intended. For example, if your couch does not have removable cushions, consider a stand assist where you can position the frame around the chair itself.
- Lift cushions and stand assist cushions that are incorrectly fitted can cause serious injury. It is therefore vital to measure the dimensions (height, width, and depth) of the chair, recliner, or couch before buying a standing assist.
Best Standing Assist Chair Aids for Seniors & Disabled
You can use the Universal Stand Assist if you or a loved one have difficulty standing off a couch or chair.
Able life’s mobility aid can help you stand with reliable assistance. You can easily rely on this chair assist to prevent falls as it offers stability, balance, and independence while sitting or standing from a chair. The standing assist is perfect for the elderly, people suffering from back pain, or anyone who needs assistance.
Moreover, the fully adjustable mobility aid can help you stand with confidence. You can buy the one compatible with your furniture as it comes in various sizes. It's suitable for furniture having a seat cushion that measures 12 to 21 inches height from the ground, a width of 19 to 26 inches, and 24 to 27 inches in depth.
There are padded handles that provide a comfortable grip and support for weights up to 300 pounds. Depending on a suitable style, you can easily adjust the frame under or around cushions.
- Prevents falling
- Provides sturdy grip
- Easy to assemble
- Offers stability while standing
- Not adjustable for low-heightened couch
- Bit pricey
Now stand up with confidence using the Vive metal mobility aid. With this chair assist, you can stand or sit on your couch safely and comfortably.
The padded handles offer a firm grip to avoid falls and can carry up to 300lbs of weight. Moreover, this chair assist fits easily and securely around or beneath the cushions of sofas, chairs, or recliners. The adjustable and durable aluminum frame ensures safe assistance. Moreover, it comes with a lifetime guarantee so buy now with no worries!
- Easy to use
- Durable and sturdy frame
- Easy to assemble
- Adjustable frame
- Handles are a bit shaky
Bandwagon offers elderly assistance that allows you or your loved ones to get up easily from a sofa, chair, or even floor.
A sturdy metal frame provides extra support and strength for appropriate mobility. Moreover, this convenient chair lift aid has 3 padded foam handles to keep you stable while standing or sitting on the sofa or chair. The padded handle of this portable chair assist gives a firm grip allowing you to sit, stand or even bend down without worry of falling.
In order to serve as an assist bar, a sturdy black metal bar slides smoothly under or above a bed chair or sofa. You have three different handles, located at 16", 26 1/2", and 33" off the floor, which allows for varying grip heights.
- Maximum support
- Perfect maneuverability
- Good floor protection with a stable base grip
- Difficult to assemble
Graham-field store presents Lumex standing assistance that keeps users actively engaged in the transport process. The stand assist fulfills all transport functions with less caregiver or attendant assistance.
The transport unit is also more affordable than electric wheelchairs or battery-powered patient lifts. It's a perfect grab assist for elders and patients trying to recover and have the stability to use their strength.
Foam-padded knees and seats enhance the comfort of the user. Moreover, a sturdy frame and base ensure a stable balance, while locking rear wheels provide added safety. Also, Lumex stand assist supports up to 400 lb of weight.
- Comfortable grab bar
- Easy to assemble
- Economical transport
- Functional split seat
- Soft foam padding
- Sturdy structure
- Doesn't work for tall persons
Getting up from or sitting in your favorite chair, couch, or recliner is easier with the Stander Couch Cane. The safety handle gives a comfortable grip and supports up to 250 pounds of weight. Moreover, it comes with a four-pocket pouch for keeping your items nearby. You can easily install the couch cane beneath or above furniture for seniors or people with mobility impairments.
The standing mobility aid comes with different adjustments; choose the one compatible with your furniture. The ergonomic safety handles have heights of 34 to 40 inches from the floor. Moreover, an easy to assemble steel frame has anti-skid base pads that protect the floor from scratches.
- Easy to assemble
- Sturdy frame
- Offers firm stability and balance
- Good quality
- Doesn't goes well for patients suffering from one-sided paralysis
Patients, seniors, and others with limited mobility can easily get up from couches and chairs with this chair lift assist. An ergonomic grab bar gives balance and support for mobility.
Moreover, you can easily move the chair assist round the house because it is lightweight and portable. For those who are disabled, elderly, or seniors, it provides firm assistance when getting in and out of bed.
The multifunctional grab bar has 3 padded handles at different heights, allowing one to sit, stand and bend down comfortably. In addition, the bar is suitable for those with rheumatoid arthritis, the disabled, pregnant women, the elderly, and those with mobility problems.
- Adjustable bed rails
- Good assistance for household
- Perfect for patients on bed rest
- Soft grip
- Flimsy and unstable
- Hard to assemble
The Pro heal stand assist is perfect for those who are recovering and are able to stand with about 60-70% of their body weight.
The firm design helps to transfer patients and let them stand without falling. Likewise, this standing assist offers more safety to patients and seniors than electric or hydraulic lifts. The lift features dual locking wheels and an adjustable locking base that ensures proper safety.
The standing assist transfers patients to beds, toilets, and wheelchairs without the hassle of other assistants or caregivers. With a seat width of 20 inches, it supports a weight capacity of 500 pounds. In addition, high-quality materials are used in the manufacture of the foot pedals, and they are welded securely for additional safety.
- High-quality material
- Easy to assemble
- Perfect support with a weight capacity of up to 500 lb
- Dual rear locking casters
- Storing it requires a lot of space
SitnStand is an innovative rising seat developed to help seniors and patients sit and stand without assistance. The portable lift chair is hassle-free, easy to use, and is the perfect gift for seniors.
Moreover, you can steadily move up and down and adjust it according to your position. Inflate/deflate the cushion with up/down buttons and enjoy convenient movement.
A suitable device for standing and sitting on sofas, couches, chairs, and recliners. Additionally, the lift seat with battery and strap weighs 8.8lbs and is easily portable. It can support up to 265 lbs of weight and offers a comfortable seating experience.
- Comes in a carry bag with a rechargeable battery
- Easy to use
- Suitable for any style of chair
- It does not have straps so that someone can feel a bit more secure.
A Vive bed rail cane assists you in pulling yourself out of bed safely. Rail cane gives you multiple angles for perfect position and grip.
With it, people who have limited mobility and weakness can get up from the bed with a lot of stability. With the soft foam-padded handle, you can easily get up from the bed or sit on it.
Moreover, you can adjust the bed rail cane's height from 17’’ to 22’’ to make it compatible with your bed. A simple push button makes it easy to lower or raise the cane in order to create a comfortable grip.
- Fits any bed size
- Easy to install
- Adjustable anchor strap
- 60 days guarantee
- Not a sturdy frame
Moreover, the standing assist aid features a foldable design, which makes it travel-friendly. Additionally, doctors recommend it for the disabled, the elderly, patients with hip joints, and people with mobility impairments.
- Secure grip with foam padded handle
- Padded armrest
- Foldable design
- Difficult to assemble
You can provide your loved one with some sense of independence by providing them with easy get-up chair support aids. Using these mobility aids, senior or disabled individuals can stand or sit easily without assistance. Moreover, you can choose between a portable or a stationed one, depending on your loved one's lifestyle. Furthermore, consider adjustability, durability, and stability when selecting the best chair assist. It is important to have a chair to help the elderly get up that is both functional and safe.
Read more Chairs & Recliners for Seniors articles.