How To Clean Hearing Aids: Step-By-Step Guide (2022 Update)
Introduction: why keeping hearing aids clean is important
It is important to keep hearing aids clean for several reasons. First, when earwax and other debris build up on the hearing aid, it can cause it to work less effectively. Second, build-up can also block the tiny microphone that picks up sound waves, making it more difficult for the person wearing the hearing aid to hear clearly. Third, if earwax and debris are not removed from the hearing aid regularly, they can actually damage the delicate inner workings of the device.
Hearing aids are small electronic devices that are worn in or around the ear to help people with hearing loss hear better. They are designed to amplify sound so that people with hearing loss can communicate more easily with others. Keeping hearing aids clean is essential to maintaining their function and longevity.
How To Clean Hearing Aids At Home
Step 1: Collecting the materials needed
If you're ready to clean your hearing aids, the first step is to gather the materials you'll need. You'll need a soft, dry cloth (a microfiber cloth is ideal), a mild soap or cleaning solution (rubbing alcohol will also work), and a clean, dry place to set your hearing aids while you're cleaning them. Once you have everything gathered, you can move on to the next step.
Step 2: Removing the earwax guard
If you have a hearing aid with an earwax guard, the first step is to remove the guard. To do this, hold the hearing aid in one hand and use the other hand to gently twist and pull the earwax guard off of the hearing aid. If the earwax guard is stuck, you can try using warm water to help loosen it. Once the earwax guard is removed, you can proceed to the next step.
Step 3: Cleaning the receiver
If you're using a hearing aid with an earmold, the receiver (the part that goes into your ear) will need to be cleaned daily. Here's how:
1. Remove the receiver from the hearing aid.
2. Gently brush any debris away with a soft-bristled brush. Pay special attention to the small hole in the center of the receiver, as this can easily become clogged.
3. If there is any remaining wax or debris, soak the receiver in warm soapy water for a few minutes, then rinse it under running water and dry it with a soft cloth.
4. Once it's dry, reattach the receiver to the hearing aid.
Step 4: Wiping down the microphones
After the microphones have been removed, it's time to clean them. Wipe down the microphones with a soft, dry cloth. Be careful not to use any harsh chemicals or cleaners on the microphones, as this could damage them. If there is any build-up on the microphones, you can gently remove it with a cotton swab dipped in alcohol. Allow the microphones to air dry before reinserting them into the hearing aids.
Step 5: Drying and reassembling
If you're cleaning your hearing aid at home, the final step is to dry it off and reassemble it. You can use a soft, lint-free cloth to pat the hearing aid dry. Once it's dry, put the battery back in and screw on the cover. If you have a behind-the-ear hearing aid, you'll also need to attach the earmold or earbud before putting it on.
Frequently asked questions
How do you clean hearing aids from earwax?
If you have small hearing aids, you know that they need to be cleaned regularly to prevent buildup of earwax and other debris. Here are some tips on how to clean your hearing aids:
Earwax is the main culprit when it comes to dirty hearing aids. This sticky substance can build up quickly and cause problems with sound quality and comfort. To clean your hearing aids, start by using a soft, dry cloth to wipe away any visible earwax. Be careful not to use anything sharp or abrasive, as this could damage the delicate components of the hearing aid.
Next, use a mild soap and water solution to gently clean the surface of the hearing aid. You can use a cotton swab or soft toothbrush to get into hard-to-reach areas. Avoid getting any water inside the hearing aid, as this could damage it.
How to clean Signia hearing aids?
If you have a pair of Signia hearing aids, it's important to keep them clean. Here are a few tips on how to clean your Signia hearing aids:
1. First, make sure you have the right cleaning supplies. You'll need a soft, dry cloth and some mild soap. Avoid using anything harsh or abrasive, as this could damage your hearing aids.
2. Start by gently wiping down the surface of your hearing aids with the dry cloth. If there is any dirt or debris build-up, you can use the mild soap to lightly clean the area. Be sure to rinse off any soap residue afterwards.
3. Next, remove the batteries and wipe down the battery contacts with the dry cloth. This will help ensure a good connection when you put new batteries in.
4. Now you are ready to put the batteries back in the hearing aid. If you have a rechargeable hearing aid, make sure it is fully charged before putting new batteries in.
How to clean Oticon hearing aids?
If you have an Oticon hearing aid, you will want to know how to properly clean it. Here are some tips on how to clean your Oticon hearing aid:
1. First, you will want to remove the batteries from your hearing aid. This will help to prevent any damage that could occur if the batteries were to leak.
2. Next, use a soft, dry cloth to gently wipe down the exterior of your hearing aid. You can also use a cotton swab to get into any hard-to-reach places.
3. Once you have wiped down the outside of your hearing aid, you will want to focus on the earpiece. Use a soft, dry cloth to clean the earpiece and remove any wax buildup.
4. Finally, reassemble your hearing aid and insert the batteries.
How to clean Beltone hearing aids?
Beltone hearing aids are some of the most popular on the market, and for good reason. They’re reliable, durable, and deliver clear sound quality. But like all hearing aids, they require regular cleaning and maintenance to keep them functioning properly. Here are a few tips on how to clean your Beltone hearing aids:
Start by removing the batteries and wiping down the exterior of the hearing aid with a soft, dry cloth. Be careful not to get any moisture or liquids inside the hearing aid, as this can damage it. Next, use a soft-bristled brush to gently remove any wax or debris from the earbud. If you see any buildup in the tubing, you can use a pipe cleaner or cotton swab to lightly clean it out.
How to clean Eargo hearing aids?
If you have Eargo hearing aids, it's important to keep them clean. Here are a few tips on how to do so:
1. Use a soft, dry cloth to wipe off the hearing aid.
2. You can also use a soft brush to remove any dirt or debris that may be stuck in the hearing aid.
3. If your hearing aid is wet, make sure to dry it off completely before wearing it again.
4. Never use sharp objects or chemicals to clean your hearing aid as this could damage it.
5. If you have any questions about how to clean your specific type of Eargo hearing aid, feel free to contact the company directly for more information.
How to clean hearing aid domes?
If you wear hearing aids, it's important to keep them clean. Dirty hearing aids can cause ear infections and other problems. Here's how to clean your hearing aid domes:
1. Remove the dome from your hearing aid.
2. Wash the dome in warm water with a mild soap. Be sure to rinse it well.
3. Dry the dome with a soft cloth or let it air dry.
4. Put the dome back on your hearing aid.
5. Repeat this process every day or as needed.
What are hearing aid cleaning kits?
If you wear hearing aids, it's important to keep them clean. Hearing aid cleaning kits can help you do that. These kits usually come with a small brush or pick that you can use to clean out the wax from the hearing aid. They may also include a cleaning solution and a drying agent.
To use the kit, start by removing the hearing aid from your ear. Then, use the brush or pick to remove any wax that's on the hearing aid. Next, put a few drops of the cleaning solution onto a cotton ball and wipe down the hearing aid. Finally, use the drying agent to dry off the hearing aid.
Hearing aid cleaning kits are available at most pharmacies or online. They're relatively inexpensive, so it's a good idea to keep one on hand in case your hearing aids need a quick cleaning.
Extra tips for maintaining hearing aid cleanliness
When it comes to keeping your hearing aid clean, there are a few extra tips you can follow to ensure optimal function and durability. For one, be sure to keep the battery door clean and free of debris. This will help to prevent moisture damage and keep the batteries from losing their charge too quickly. Additionally, it’s important to keep the earpiece clean and dry. Wiping it down with a soft cloth after each use will help to remove any buildup of wax or dirt. Finally, be sure to store your hearing aid in a dry, safe place when not in use. This will help to protect it from damage and maintain its quality over time. By following these simple tips, you can keep your hearing aid clean and working properly for many years to come.